Kubrat Pulev has announced that he will take on British boxer Hughie Fury for the right to become the mandatory challenger for the IBF heavyweight title. The fight will take place in Kubrat’s hometown of Sofia in Bulgaria on October 27.
It has been almost 11 months since Kubrat Pulev was forced to pull out of his planned fight with Anthony Joshua. The shoulder injury that Pulev sustained in training last October, robbed him of one of the biggest opportunities of his career, and also deprived fans of a potential thriller. Pulev was replaced by Carlos Takam, who was easily brushed aside by Joshua.
“I sustained the injury – I’m a man after all, though I’m almost a super man, but now I’m fully recovered,” said Pulev. “This game (against Joshua) will take place, it’s getting near and I have to win.”
Since then Pulev has been matched with a number of high profile boxers including Dominic Breazeale, Dillian Whyte, and Jarrell Miller, yet each time Pulev’s promoters have come close to scheduling a fight, negotiations have broken down. The 37-year-old has now revealed that his next opponent will be Hughie Fury, will Pulev claiming that Fury accepted the terms of the fight earlier this week.
“Two have refused so far – Whyte and Miller, but Fury has already said no problem and he will play,” said Pulev. “The date is clear – October 27, the fight will be in Sofia.
“It looks like it’ll be a very interesting game. He is a good, young boxer.”
Pulev is currently the highest-ranked contender in the IBF. Should he beat Fury he will become the mandatory challenger for Anthony Joshua’s IBF heavyweight title, and could be handed a title shot in 2019. Hughie Fury, who is the cousin of boxer Tyson Fury, has lost just one of his 22 professional boxing matches, losing to Joseph Parker via majority decision in September 2017.